Monday, July 20, 2009

7/15/2009

So this week was about the same as last week, nothing new or exciting. As I think
I mentioned last time, we didn't get roommates last preparation day, and
we haven't gotten any today, so that's at least two weeks with a room for just
me and my companion. Our district is still the best one in the MTC! The elders
just have a little bit of a problem focusing sometimes... But I love it none the
less. There is a district from our zone leaving next week. There are 3 sisters
in it that we have become good friends with. It is kind of intimidating to
realize that in just 5 weeks that is going to be us. They had been here 4 weeks
when we came in, and we have been here 4 weeks now. There is still so much that
we need to learn!

In class the other day, our teacher said something that really put it into
perspective. He was talking about how we often feel
overwhelmed at all we have to get done here. However, we have one purpose, and
that is to "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the
restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonment, repentance,
baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." We
talked about how if something doesn't work towards that purpose, then it doesn't
matter. For example, I wasn't called to learn Spanish, I was called to invite
others to come unto Christ in Spanish. I don't know if this makes sense, but for
me and the other missionaries in the district, it was actually a big relief. I
no longer feel like some of our time spent here is a waste. It is only a waste
if I let it be by not using this time the Lord has given me to bless others,
even if those others are other missionaries, teachers, or even any of you
reading this email. I can't wait until I get out into the field and can begin to
share some of the stories of faith that I learn from the people I will get to
teach. Whatever time here is not spent realizing how much there still is to
learn is spent being humbled at this opportunity. I can honestly say that since
I have gotten here, not a single day has gone by without me thinking "I can't
believe I almost missed out on this." If it had been up to me, I might not have
thought about coming on a mission, and if I hadn't thought about coming on a
mission I most certainly wouldn't have come. But luckily this work is up to the
Lord, and though I may never know why, He called me to be one of His
missionaries. What a miraculous and merciful blessing! I grow to love this
gospel more and more each day as I teach it more and more. I am constantly
sharing my testimony, just by being here, and so it is constantly growing. But
the best part of all is that I don't have to do it at all. The book we use to
teach is called "Preach my Gospel" and the title comes from a verse in the
Doctrine and Covenants. Verse 50:14 says "preach my gospel by the Spirit..."
That is the real goal. I will do no teaching on my mission, only preaching and
testifying. The Spirit will do all the teaching, which is such a great comfort
to me, because as is reinforced to me everyday, the Spirit is a much greater
teacher than I could ever be.

In devotional last night, the Ogden temple president was the speaker, and he
said that we are sharing the gospel with the
children of God, so that they can enter the temple one day, which is the way to
eternal life. I agree 100%. It is a such a blessing that we get to go to the
temple each week. Everyone of you that can go, should, and everyone that can't
for some reason or another should work so that when the opportunity is presented
to them, they can go. It is one of the greatest blessings on this earth, and it
is central to the true gospel of Jesus Christ. One last thing - as I mentioned
earlier, my district has been working to have a central purpose to all of our
goals and actions. This applies when you aren't a missionary either! I encourage
you all to find the focus and purpose of your life, the one that God has
prepared for you, and make that the center of your life, goals and actions. I
have a feeling it will make things a whole lot clearer!

De Provo Con Amor,
Hermana Ladd

No comments:

Post a Comment