Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010

Well another transfer come and gone, and big surprise in transfer news: I'm staying and Hna. Guzman is going?! It was such a surprise because we thought that if anyone was going to be leaving it would be me for sure, since I have been here longer. And I'll be going back full-field. I am really grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. I have grown to love the VC so much more this transfer, that I am glad to be getting the rest of my full-field over with so that I can serve there the rest of my mission. Also, Hna. McBride will be coming to me. She came out the transfer before me, and I have been on exchanges with her. She is a really sweet sister and I am really excited to be serving with her. I am also really excited to be staying in the area, I didn't think I would be, which was sad because it is amazing how much we just keep finding and finding new people. The area is about to explode and I really hope to be able to help it this transfer. Sorry I haven't been very good at sharing this transfer, but keep a look out for the names Daniel, Maribel and Jesus, Uriel and Gladys, Juan, and Chava (or Salvador) in the coming emails! This is the Bassett's last full transfer, so the mission is trying to be more unified in reaching 200 baptisms in this one transfer. I really hope that we can get it. The Bassett's have worked so hard to lead the mission and it has improved to be the leading mission in the US. We are going to keep it that way too!

Anyways, quick thought that I found in the scriptures yesterday, sorry if I've already shared it or if I share it again, it's a good one. In Alma 48 it is talking about how great of a man Moroni was. It ennumerates all of his good qualities, his faith in Christ, etc. Then it goes to say that if every man was like Moroni, the powers of hell would have, well, no power. That is a pretty mighty man, a pretty great captain if you ask me. If we read about his story we see how much good he did in saving the lives and liberty of the Nephites. However, we read that he was not alone in righteousness. I was sharing that scripture in prayer meeting at the VC and felt I should keep reading. So I read on about Ammon, Alma, the sons of Mosiah, and Helaman. The chapter says that they were "no less serviceable unto the people" than this great captain, one of the greatest in history. Yet they weren't leaders like he was, they were... missionaries! "for they did preach the word of God, and they did baptize unto repentance all men whosoever would hearken unto their words." Moroni saved lives, but they saved souls. It brings a different meaning to verse 17: "Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, [missionaries], behold, the very powers of hell would be shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men." Sometimes we read about Moroni and even though we want to be it seems hard to be as great of a man as he was. However, every one of us CAN be missionaries. All we have to do is share our testimony with those around us, by word and by example. If every member of the church did that then that promise would come true and even in this world, the powers of hell will have no power over the hearts of the children of men. So please, my challenge, more like my plea for you this week is to share your testimony with someone who isn't a member. I promise as a missionary of the true church of Jesus Christ on the earth that you will change their life, whether it be now, or in the future.

I know that Jesus Christ has restored his gospel to the earth. I know that our Father in Heaven loves us, and that He watches out for us. He hears our prayers and better yet, He answers them. Joseph Smith was a prophet and we have a prophet still today. The Book of Mormon is true, and the gospel is possible to live. It may be hard but it is possible.

I love you all and happy mother's day!
Desde Mesa, con amor,

Hermana Ladd

No comments:

Post a Comment